Sales can be challenging and complex but businesses who increase their sales took deliberate steps based on proven sales principles and techniques.
Increase your sales using these 8 steps:
- Understand Principles of Sales Cycle
- Identify your expertise
- Create your product(s)
- Create your sales funnel
- Create the path to navigate your funnel
- Scatter links
- Reporting & Measuring (ROI, SEO, etc.)
- Repeat, repeat, repeat
1. Sales Cycle Principles
Understand the principles of your sales cycle, which include:
- Content – Must have a purpose, strategic objective and a call to action. (ie: free information or products to get your target customer to your website and signup by providing their email address)
- Focus on the highest ROI (Return on Investment) – Track and measure the success of your marketing whether it be through blogging, social media sites, Google ads, Facebook ads, etc.
- Listen to your target audience and adjust your marketing plans accordingly
- Set realistic targets, measure their success and keep testing your message. Try different headlines or pictures/videos of one ad (A/B testing) to see which one works better. Don’t be afraid to keep tweaking your ad or using different social media sites to see which ones perform better. Just give it at least 3-5 days before you start changing it up.
- Benefits – Ask yourself “What benefit am I providing my client?” and ensure that the answer to that question is in all your marketing messages.
- Understand the basic psychology of your target market and tailor your message to reflect that. Keep up to date with new or innovative sales techniques in your market. Watch your competition to see what they are doing and learn from them.
Considering that 50% of your leads won’t be a good fit for your product/service, it’s why the sales process can be so challenging.Quickbooks.Intuit.com
2. Identify Your Expertise
You have to identify your expertise. Ask yourself these questions:
- What am I good at?
- What am I passionate about?
- How can you add value to my target customer’s life/business?
- What problems am I solving for them?
- Does my target market have money?
- How do they spend their money?
- Think through your sales funnel. How is it structured? What steps do I have to take to achieve my goals?
According to the 2012 Edelman Trust Barometer, a survey on trust and credibility, trust and transparency are just as important to corporate reputation as the quality of products and services.NeilPatel.com
Before anybody is going to buy from you or your company, they’ve got to “buy” the idea that you’re somebody worth working with. In other words, just like a job candidate, your first task is always selling yourself.GeoffreyJames.com
Read our Blog: How to Create your Targeted Buyer Persona for your business.
3. Create Product or Service
Provide value to your target market by creating a free service or product.
- Use sign-up incentives on your website/blog. Give your target audience something (ie: blog, video, white paper, e-book, gift certificate, product) to acquire their email address.
- Provide different tiers of product/service pricing if possible.
When you’re selling a product/service online or offline, giving should be in the form of value.NeilPatel.com
Your BEST salespeople are your customers. They are the ones that will tell their friends, family, co-workers and social media connections about you.
4. Create Your Sales Funnel
Create your sales funnel to lead your customers through the buying process to the final purchase stage.
- Sign up customers through incentives
- Offer product incentives
- Upsell and cross-sell
- Use an auto-responder service and keep in contact with your customers (approx.. 5 – 10 emails) and ensure you’re also contacting abandoned shopping cart customers.
- Offer new incentives within a decent time frame to keep them engaged with your brand.
According to Business Insider, approximately $4 TRILLION worth of online merchandise was abandoned in incomplete shopping carts last year alone, of which 63% was potentially recoverable.wordstream.com
5. Create the Path to Navigate Your Funnel
Create multiple pathways to your sales funnel to capture your target audience. Don’t just rely on one pathway and limit your reach.
- Use content
- Use a Multimedia approach (YouTube, Podcasts, Social Media, Images on Pinterest, etc.)
- Do webinars, videos or courses to educate your audience (how to change a furnace filter, put on mascara, make a recipe, grow tomatoes, make a website, etc.)
- Keep up on your email list (Use an auto-responder to stay in touch on a regular basis)- Don’t ignore them or only sell to them – provide consistent value.
- Communicate constantly with your internal and external staff, suppliers and contacts for feedback
6. Scatter links
Scatter links everywhere you can about your product/service.
- Use Tools strategically (Tweet Deck, MailChimp, Hootsuite etc.)
- Do conferences, seminars, trade shows
- Attend local business networking events
- Join your local business chamber of commerce association
- Do an Affiliate program
- If possible try to do personal engagements in person or with Skype or Zoom with your customers
- Find out who the influencers are in your market and develop a working relationship with them
The average salesperson only makes 2 attempts to reach a prospect and 44% of salespeople give up after one follow-up.SiriusDecisions.com
7. Reporting & Measuring (ROI)
Ensure you have reporting and measuring tools in place to track your efforts.
- Ignore irrelevant metrics (How many likes you have on FaceBook or Instagram)
- Are the people signing up for your free content converting to sales? What percentage?
- Use Google Analytics and a Facebook Pixel on your website
- A/B Test your Ads, website pages and blog headlines – if someone lands on your website and leaves immediately, you have a messaging problem.
- Reinforce what works, change or remove what doesn’t. Don’t keep an ad just because you like it when your target audience doesn’t. They dictate what works for them. Listen.
- Learn from influencers/competition in your market constantly.
Keep repeating the above steps, tweaking it as you need to.
I hope this helps you in your business. Check out our other blogs for more marketing, sales and business tips to help you grow.
If you need any help or have a suggestion on a topic you’d like us to cover, contact us.